After Receiving Your Tattoo, Follow These Care Instructions to Avoid Complications & Ensure the Best Results
Beginning within the first two hours of the application of your new tattoo:
- Wash your tattoo thoroughly with an antimicrobial soap (NO BAR SOAP) and warm water twice a day, morning and evening.
- With clean hands, use your fingers with medium pressure during your washes to help remove any dried secretions in the pores of your skin.
- Washing with warm water opens the derma pores and gives your skin a deep clean to prevent scabs from forming.
- Remember to follow washes by applying a very thin layer of Aquaphor Skin Healing Ointment. Redness, swelling and bruising may occur.
- After four days, apply a dye & fragrance-free lotion (in place of the ointment) on your tattoo to prevent it from drying out. The process of dry skin will usually last an additional two weeks.
- After 1 week you can begin washing your tattoo only during your usual bathing routine.
- During the first two weeks: DO NOT go swimming or submerge your new tattoo in the bath or hot tub.
- Prolonged soaking can lead to fading of the tattoo.
- DO NOT pick at scabs or peeling skin during the healing process.
Saniderm (Clear sticky medical film) wrap healing instructions:
- Leave wrap on for three days.
- After three days, remove wrap in the shower or with water, pull towards the tattoo when taking off the wrap.
- After wrap is removed, use unscented lotion (we recommend Aveeno dialing moisturizing lotion or Eucerin original healing).
- If wrap comes off before three days, please refer to the other tattoo after care instructions.
If you have any questions regarding your new tattoo please contact us, DO NOT REFER TO YOUR FRIENDS OF THE INTERNET FOR PROBLEMS OR CONCERNS. If you have medical concerns contact your physician immediately. Symptoms of may include: increased pain, swelling, redness, or warmth around the affected area.
To Contact The Oakland County Health Department:
27725 Greenfield Road, Southfield, MI
The tattoo will begin to peel around day 3, just as a sunburn will. This is normal. If you have any questions regarding your new tattoo, please contact us.